How can your company support your employee’s mental health? Here are 11 easy steps.
- Make discussing supports and self-care plans a standard part of the hiring/onboarding process.
- Provide access to mental health self-assessment tools for all employees.
- If your insurance plan excludes mental health services, create an optional employee mental health benefit.
- Provide free or subsidized lifestyle coaching, counseling, or self-management programs.
- Share useful mental health and support information such as brochures, fliers, and videos with employees.
- Help employees reduce stress by hosting educational sessions on topics such as anxiety and depression, or stress-management.
- Create and maintain dedicated, quiet spaces for relaxation/debriefing (especially after the company’s stressful seasons or events).
- Include mental health days within paid time off and incorporate mental health practices in team meetings, professional development, and daily interactions.
- Help managers recognize the signs and symptoms of stress and mental health struggles, so they’re better able to encourage team members to seek help from qualified mental health professionals.
- Include mental health practices in strategic planning and make it a regular discussion topic.
- Lead by example and prioritize strengthening your own mental health.