We are continuing our series “All About Teens” with a discussion about social media. How can you tell if it’s an addiction, and what parents can do to help. Listen in as our director April Bordeau and therapist, Jessie Larimer, discuss this important and relevant topic.
During this conversation, we review 6 questions to ask when considering if social media has become an addiction. The include
- Do you spend a lot of time thinking about social media or planning to use social media?
- Do you feel urges to use social media more and more?
- Do you use social media to forget about personal problems?
- Do you often try to reduce the use of social media without success?
- Do you become restless or troubled if unable to use social media?
- Do you use social media so much that it has had a negative impact on your job or studies?
We also discuss ways to help your teen, which include
- Spending time with them,
- Taking their concerns seriously,
- Helping them to engage in healthy activities,
- Creating structure and limits with screen time
- Monitoring their accounts
- Encouraging real time connection with friends,
- And maybe most importantly, modeling healthy boundaries.
- The Tech-Wise Family: Everyday Steps for Putting Technology in its Proper Place – Andy Crouch
- 12 Ways Your Phone is Changing You -Tony Reinke
- Achieving True Success, How to Build Character as a Family
- The Social Dilemma
- Axis Parenting
Other Helpful Podcasts:
- How To Connect With Your Kid in the Age of Technology
- Boundaries with Kids and Parents
- Teaching Your Kids What Healthy Dating Means
- When Kids Seem to Be Ruining Your Relationship
- When You Catch Your Kids with Porn
- Teaching Your Kids to Live with the Attitude of Gratitude
For more information about Care to Change visit www.caretochange.org
Follow Care to Change on Facebook